Sunday, August 02, 2009

More Little Dresses
















These are for the grand-daughters of my egg-lady and fellow teacher, Rae. I hope I got the sizes right!
Rae likes dresses prairie-length. The two larger (size 6) dresses have full circle skirts, for maximum twirling power. In order to accomplish this without sagging hems, I cut the skirt pieces into six gores, rather than following the standard pattern layout. This approach gives less bulk at the waist, and maximizes the circumference at the hem. The blue and white dress has a skirt cut in tiers, which is a fabric-hungry approach to fullness, but the fabric told me that's what it wanted. Not shown is a slip I made for underneath out of a ruined, cast-off wedding gown. (The other two dresses are sized 2, and made of scraps, so the skirts aren't as full.)





No comments:

Post a Comment