Friday, December 27, 2013

Tentacle Scarves

IA twirly, easy gift! I made 4 of these this week.  The folks I gave them to were so pleased. I love the organic, floaty, vaguely Steam- punk look they have.


Just cut outa bunch of 10 inch circles  (I used a lid as a pattern) from old t-shirts.  1-3 t-shirts must be killed to make this project, depending on how big the shirt is, and if it has sleeves you can cut up.  I used 2 women's size smalls, and the sleeves from 1 child's shirt.   Stack up the circles (you will need about 20 circles total)  and cut them into spirals:
Pull the strips apart, overlap the less curly ends by about 6 inches, so they form a gentle arc, then sew together like this:
Pile up all the strips at the sewn spots, aligning the arcs.  This will be the back, behind the wearers' neck. About 5 inches from the sewn stack. Sew across the tentacles.  Sew across the stack again 5 inches further ...
this makes a liittle spot to loop the other side through. At this point, the scarf is done, but I like to sew a few buttons and ornaments on the last seam for decoration.
Loop the tentacles from one side through the opening in the other, and voila!
A terrible picture, taken with my phone... I really must learn to use the thing.


No comments:

Post a Comment